Benefits of Consuming Your Placenta
Using a mother’s placenta for postpartum healing is
quickly gaining in popularity. The practice of
ingesting one’s placenta post birth may seem
bizarre to some, but the list of believed benefits
are nothing to casually dismiss, making placenta
encapsulation/preparation a valuable consideration
for birthing families.
What is placentophagia?
Placentophagia is the process of a new mother consuming her placenta postpartum by either eating the placenta raw, cooked, in capsule form or drinking the juices from the placenta once it is cooked.
Some of the things the placenta can help with:
* Preventing and lessening the risk of postpartum depression or ‘baby blues’
* Replenishing your iron from blood loss during birth and to prevent post birth anemia
* Lending you a consistent flow of oxytocin long after your birth euphoria ends
* Providing the HPL hormone to help establish early and healthy milk supply
* To stabilize your ever changing hormones post birth
* To replenish your B vitamins and energy that were used during the labor and birthing process
* Protection from infection and bleeding due to retained placenta tissue or membranes
* Offer natural pain relief from the labor and birth of the baby
* Increase breast milk suppy
Hormones Known to be in the Placenta:
Oxytocin: The feel good or love hormone. Creates feelings of bonding, pain relief, happiness and elation.
Cortisone: This hormone unlocks energy stored in the body and combats stress. (cortisol)
Interferon: This hormones stimulates the immune system to fight off infections while the mother is healing from birth.
Prostaglandins: Acts as an anti-inflammatory.
Hemoglobin: Replenishes iron, stimulates iron production in blood.
Urokinase inhibiting factor and factor XIII: Lessens bleeding and promotes faster healing.
Prolactin/HPL: Stimulates healthy mammary function and milk production.
Encapsulation - $250)
Tincture - $40 for 4oz, $65 for 10oz